1. Have you participated in NaNoWriMo before? If so, which years and what was the end result?
Yes. I participated in NaNo '10. I got to like, between 35 or 40,000 words and then my grandma died. ._. So I kinda lost motivation. But that's okay.
2. What's the title of your story? Why did you choose the name you did?
I don't have a name for it yet. Something to do with rebels or advocates or anarchists. I'm really bad with titling my novels.
3. Pick one of your female characters. Introduce your readers to her from here point of view and her words only.
I'm Charlotte. Don't call me Char. I'm not a dyke. Please stop calling me one. Because I'm really really not.
4. What genre is your novel? Why did you pick it?
It is... I guess you could say it's science-fiction, or apocalyptic, or realistic fiction. I guess any one of those would be right. (LOLS that seems to be the only thing I write...)
5. Name two songs that you feel are connected with your novel, and, if you like, explain how they are.`
I LIKE THIS QUESTION. Because my novel is based off an entire album, actually, Rise Against's new album Endgame. I was having trouble thinking of a plot and I was starting to get very scared. Because November is approaching FAST. Then I bought this album and I was listening to it in the car, and I got this spark of an inspiration. So when I got home, I sat down and listened to the entire album through without interruption, then started it again and took notes on how I thought the songs were tied together, my favorite lines and concepts from each song (some songs have little to do with it, others are majorly impactive (lols is that a word)) and slowly piecing together a novel in my head.
6. What is your one biggest stress or related to forcing yourself to write at least 50,000 words in a span of 30 days?
Finding the time because of school. I'm in school until 4 on three days and 5 on two. I'm in the performing choir (not my choice, I was literally, literally forced into it) and jazz band and I have an honors english class and I have piano lessons and... stuff. ALSO, my school schedule was just switched around a lot. Now I'm in AP music theory which I hear is hard, but I'm glad that I was switched because Music 2 was waaaay too easy. (And I didn't even take music 1. Hah. *brushes off shoulders* Nbd. Just skipping 2 years of music.) I was also switched to music composition (which I'm told I'll have to dedicate quite a bit of time to) and my councilor made me drop PE and take a history class instead. So now I have 3x the work I did yesterday. Which is nerve wracking enough, without having NaNoWriMo hanging over my head...
7. Where's your favorite place to hunker down and write?
My bedroom. But I can be happy anywhere I can sit down and shove headphones in my ears, too, I guess.
8. List your current, most up-to-date word count.
Clearly this is meant for after NaNo has started.... <---- What she said.
9. Have you told anyone else you're doing NaNo this year? Who? What was their reaction?
Everybody. My sister and my mom think I'm crazy, Mel and Kate and Sam and Alec, of course, fully support me and I'm pretty sure all of them are doing it with me except maybe Sam who SHOULD if she's not, my awesome new nerdfighting friend Tristan who was like, "OMG I'M DOING IT TOO! HIGH FIVE!", and my boyfriend who was oddly enthusiastic and said, "I'll do it too!" I doubt he'll last the first 3 days. But it's the thought that counts, right?
10. How does your love of writing manifest in non-NaNo months?
I used to write all the time. Now I don't really have a lot of time on my hands because of public school and all my extra-curricular activities. But I love it a lot, and I want to go to college to become an editor for novels.
11. Ever tried collaborative writing?
Yes. 2. 1 with Kate, and it didnt work out so well (aahaha we were like 11 so cut us some slack) and 1 currently with Sam. That one is actually going amazingly well and I love working with her. She's hysterical, a great writer, and it also helps me a lot if I lose inspiration. I know I have another person who's going to have ideas on where it should go next, who'll be ready to help me.
12. Imagine you're behind in your word count goals and are going to pull an all-nighter to catch up. Screencap a playlist of inspirational music you would use to get you up to speed.
Probably loud music. To keep myself awake. No Regina Spektor for me XD
13. Name a male character from your novel.
The main character's name is Devoyn.
14. Is the sexuality of your characters a large part of your novel's story? If so, are there characters who deviate from the heterosexual "norm"? In what way?
Yes. Charlotte, the main character's best friend, is a lesbian. When she kisses a girl who tells, the whole school finds out and she gets made fun of. She stays strong for a year, but when the story begins, she's retreating inside a shell. Soon she claims she's straight and dates a guy to prove it, and breaks away from Devoyn. His main struggle in the first half of his novel will be trying to bring Charlotte back into his life and back to who she used to be. Of course, all of his petty first world problems will become irrelevant in the second half of the novel... *evil laugh*
Another place it has a part in is demonstrations and protests for gay rights.
15. Do any of your characters have a disability or mental illness?
16. What else do you have going on in your life, and just how much are you shifting it to win NaNo?
I can literally not shift anything. I will have to just cram a whole bunch of shit in my life.
Well, I guess you could say that's a lie. I'm going to shift friends. I'm going to bring my laptop to school every day during November and try and write during lunch. My poor boyfriend will feel so neglected, I just transferred out of the only 2 classes I had with him... hahaha.
17. In what time period is your novel set? Is it in this world or another?
This world. Not today. Some point in the near future, when technology will not have advanced far enough to where it could be called science fiction, but to a point where America has engaged in some form of war.
18. Who is the antagonist in your novel? What drives their actions?
The antagonist will be Charlotte for the first half, and then... I guess the entire world for the second half. Really, there's not one person in particular 'out to get' Devoyn or stop what he's aiming for. There are just a ton of people against what he's fighting for.
19. Which authors or books have inspired your own writing the most, and why?
Um. Hmm... honestly, I'm not ever really inspired by one person in general. I think all the books I read in some small way inspire what I write. If I had to choose one, though, it would probably be Kristin Cashore or Suzanne Collins. They've heavily influenced two books I've worked on.
20. If you could meet one fictional character from any book you've ever read, who would it be, and why?
Harry Potter. OMG.
21. What are your plans and goals for your novel?
22. If you've participated in or won NaNo before, what happened to your other novel efforts?
Um. It hasn't, really...
23. Do animals play any part in your story? If so, how do they add to it?
24. Is religion featured in your novel at all? If so, which ones? If it's/they're your own creations, describe it/them and how it/they play(s) a part in your characters' lives.
He's an atheist. I guess you could say it plays a part because he does a lot of demonstrations against churches who fear, discourage, and call homosexuality a sin. But there's going to be a lot of politics. *shudders* Not exactly looking forward to that.
25. What are the names of at least two of your main characters? How did you choose their names?
Erm. I only know Devoyn and Charlotte so far... I guess I'll add Charlotte's beard, his name'll be Jon.
26. Was any research involved (historical or otherwise) in your NaNo prep?
Um, I'll probably have to do a bit of research into demonstrations and politics and possibly bombs. But I haven't done that yet. So.
27. What's your would count now?
We've been down this road
<--again, what she said
28. Irrelevant so I'm skipping. (Thanks, Mel, for not even posting it)
29. Irrelevant. (Yet again thanks)
30. Share a link to either your NaNo profile or a location on the Internet where your story can be found.
Um, my nano name is polymath13, so add me as a buddy! I think, as of right now, they've shut that feature down, but when it gets back up feel free to pop on by
Oh oh so I was tagged by so go check out her entry: [link]
and I tag Sam!
Also please ignore all my mistakes. I know I have a lot. But I honestly don't have the energy to fix it all and I have a pounding headache and I think I have homework but I'm not sure and I just want to go to sleep. *bangs head on desk*